Sunday, March 25, 2007

Partnership: Relief and Challenges

I was a solo midwife for a long time. Then I got a partner (another midwife in my practice). I already had a lifemate in the form of a husband of 30+ years. Now, I'm sometimes not sure what to do about this partner thing. I'm thinking that I am not someone who plays well with others. I love the fact that I'm having every other weekend off and that I can actually take a vacation. That is wonderful. What sucks is that now my partner schedules inductions and does deliveries and runs the show her own way. She does do nice deliveries, and we really do have similar practice styles. Sometimes people that I have delivered before end up being in when she is on call and so she gets to make the decisions and help with their births. I don't like that sharing thing. I don't think that I could continue to be on call all the time, but I haven't adjusted to someone else making decisions about plan of care for people that I have taken care of during previous pregnancies or even thru most of the current pregnancy. I really like the time off. I really like the ability to have a drink (a beer, or a glass of wine) knowing that someone else is responsible Before she came, I just didn't drink because I couldn't take the chance on getting called in after having had alcohol. It is wonderful to have the increased freedom and time of my own. I just don't like sharing that much. Hmmm, I can't have it both ways... imagine that.

No comments: