Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I love getting together with my family and a bunch of ingredients and laughing and joking and creating food as well as great memories.  This year was no different.  We got together at our youngest daughter's home and created a wonderful feast.  We had one food failure, that was the Brussels sprouts.  We had one food overage, that was the sweet potatoes.  We had delicious turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and stuffing.  We had good wine and great company.  The only thing missing was the chaos.  When the whole family is together, there is lots of noise, and talking, and laughing, and joking, and pushing, and shoving and a great time had by all.  We had a good time, but it was quiet.  We did turn our ingredients into good food, eat well, play games, go for a walk and enjoy ourselves.  Life is good. 

On the Midwifery front, I had several people who were due on the time I was to be out of town.  Sadly, every single one of them delivered without me.  They all had nice births.  I don't think I was missed at all.  This is a hard fact for my ego to absorb.  I'm sorry I missed the births.  I really love doing deliveries.  I'm not sorry at all that I had time with my family to have fun and to love life in a way that is unique to families.  I'm still working on the ego thing.

1 comment:

elm said...

You would have TOTALLY been missed if you were not at my birth. I would have been a very sad mama walking that road without you... Don't you wanna get packed up in my boxes and move somewhere sometime?!?!!! Still don't know when or where... feels so so so strange!

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with family... ours was quiet with just us. I had a brussel sprouts adventure last week. I was UNhappy with them. Not sure I even want to try again!!