Monday, November 8, 2010

An observation and attestation

When my life mate retired from the military, and it was my turn to choose where we lived, I chose a small town.  I liked the feel of meeting people you know where ever you go.  I liked the slower pace, the laid back attitudes and the over all more personal feel.  I actively looked for employment in a small town.  I didn't exclude big cities, they just weren't on the top of my list.  So it is no surprise that I got a job in a small town.  Which for the most part, I love.  However, one thing that is not discussed when talking about a small town is the fact that everyone knows every one's business.  My partner once took another woman to dinner, with my blessing (I was out of town).  It took only 4 days for me to hear about this when I returned to the area.  Because I work in the public eye and I have delivered lots of babies whose parents I see when I'm out, My grown children refuse to go out shopping with me because they think it takes 4 hours to purchase a gallon of milk.  My life mate just walks on and finishes the task at hand and waits for me in the car.  This kind of notoriety is both a blessing and a curse.  As long as everything is good and the general perception is that I'm a great provider then the talk about me is good.  The corollary to this is that if things are not happy and the general perception is that I have screwed up or lost my temper, or done a bad job then the talk is not so good.  In a big city this would not be an issue, because it is not a closed group of individuals.  In a small town, the impact of word of mouth is huge!  Now, I NEVER.Ever.Ever. go to work and say whose life can I mess up today, I really want to anger or frustrate someone today.  NO!! everyday I go to work to do the best job that I am capable of at that moment.  I love my job, I love what I do.  Sometimes, I get frustrated with the situations I am handed but  I always do the best that I am capable of at that moment.

No comments: