Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back across the pond and home again

Very, very, early, April 10th, Saturday morning (3:45a.m. UK time) we got up and Adam drove us to the airport in Manchester where we caught a flight to Amsterdam. In Amsterdam, we changed planes and flew to Portland where we caught a hop to Eugene from whence we drove home stopping only for a bit of dinner.

As I write this note, I am re-living the wonderful times we had with our family. We shared good times, talked about hard things and walked and walked and walked. We walked, on average, about 6 miles each day of the vacation. The kids aged 8,6,4, and of course 3 walked everywhere the adults did with essentially no complaining. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to share this bit of life with them. Olivia and I decided that we could readily live together in a commune and share more of our lives together. Adam and I talked about life after the Air Force. Stu and I talked about where we go from here and what else we want to accomplish in this life.

I chuckle about the language differences between English and American. While on the highway we stopped for a potty emergency and I took the kids in to the bathroom while Olivia got fuel. The door of the Women's room had a sign that read "operative on duty". I didn't know if I could go into the bathroom or not. I sure didn't have any state secrets to give up and was confused about the function of said operative. The sign, I find out, means that the rest room is being cleaned at the moment. I also discovered "jacket potatoes" which are potatoes baked in foil. I frequently saw signs on the round abouts that say "give way" which in America means yield. There were many more language bits which made me smile and think and I am reminded how fun it is to play with words.
For now we are home, tomorrow I start the day with a 7:30a.m. C-section and a full slate of patients. I'm already wishing I was back on vacation.

No comments: