Thursday, February 14, 2008

Life continues. . .

Yesterday, I went to the office for the first time since my surgery and enjoyed visiting with everyone. I got very tired and came home and took a nap. I was saddened because just as I arrived they had confirmed a term fetal demise in one of our patients so my midwife partner was busy with that, and we didn't get a chance to visit. I just gave her a hug and told her I was sorry. She went to the hospital with the patient to labor sit and ultimately deliver this stillborn baby. She called later in the day to say that it was all over, but she was really sad. There is nothing I can say or do, I can just reassure her that I know it is hard.

On a more positive note, I get to go visit my grandchildren on the East coast during my convalescence. We got our tickets and I am so excited. It will be great to be with them, and it is spring break, so the older kids will be out of school. My granddaughter told me on the phone the other day "We will go to the National Zoo. We will take the Metro because it is very exciting. We will walk and walk and see all of the animals when you are here." I told her that sounded wonderful but that we would have to wait and see. I will be 6 weeks post op when we fly out. I am not sure about my strength or mobility. Speaking of which, I am using a bike to increase my flexion and extension, it is fairly painful, but everything I have read assures me that this is just stretching the muscles. I cannot make the pedals go all the way around yet but I get closer each time I work at it. I try for four separate "practices" everyday. I think it is working. Today, I was able to go down the stairs alternating feet, which I have not been able to do in years. That is
definite progress and for that I am pleased and excited.

No comments: