Monday, January 10, 2011

Numbers.

I am currently the C-section queen.  I have done one vaginal delivery and 3 cesarean assists this year and I have two more cesarean assists scheduled this week.  My partner on the other hand has done 7 vaginal deliveries and no cesarean assists this year.  I wish it were the other way, but it is not.  I feel that I am disengaging from this business.  I am wanting more time to be with my husband and my family and it is a challenge to be at a birth for 36 hours while the birth mother has a fair chance to get her baby out her way.  I still believe she deserves that chance, I just don't want it to be me sitting at the bedside all those hours.  I'm not sure how to settle this discrepancy.  I guess I'll just keep working and thinking and life will (as it usually does) figure itself out.

1 comment:

elm said...

I think that you need an "assistant" - a doula, of sorts. This person will not currently have a "life" - no partner, no children (at home), family only from afar. This person will be the birth-sitter and will call you once things have progressed to a certain predetermined stage in the labor. Of course, you can choose to be there for certain mothers no matter what, but for the others? Oh, you have this lovely assistant - who serves as your in office nurse (or not - so that they can sit births while you do appointments with your nurse) and visits with each patient while you are with other patients. She would kind of fill in the gap time - the time when a patient is otherwise just waiting for you anyway!! OH - and this person ALSO is independently wealthy and does this for FUN! No needed paycheck!!! OH!! I just woke up... was I dreaming a great dream or WHAT?!? :)