Saturday, November 21, 2009

We did it!

What you may ask did you do? Well let me share this victory with you. I did a birth tonight, in fact just a few minutes ago. It was a special birth because this couple's last baby had a major heart defect and died a within a few hours of birth. They got pregnant again and this was the birth of that baby. Only it wasn't that easy. She had polyhydramnios - too, too, too much water around the baby. When her water broke it was like a fire hose at full blast. After the baby delivered there was a Tsunami which followed. The wonderful thing is that this baby is 100% normal and as I left the room he was already at breast and suckling beautifully. This was a long, long labor, 36 hours and I came in on my weekend off to be her midwife. It was a truly wonderful birth and I really had the opportunity to help give her something that she will remember for the rest of her life. We did it! She and I and her wonderful, supportive husband worked together as a team and we did it.

2 comments:

HBKiwi said...

that is truly wonderful. Horray for healthy babies!

elm said...

I've found you!!!

What an experience that night/day/evening truly was!!

Definitely a VICTORY of healthy babe and healthy mom... in the end!! We are doing well - now at just past 5 weeks. Li'l Babe is growing well and has made a double chin and perhaps is working on a triple!!! I am working on sleep... finding it when I can and loving the days that Pops is around and I get a daytime nap!!

Babe loves to take a bath and sit and soak in a nice warm sink full of water... but should THAT surprise me? Probably not... he seems to think water in general is a GREAT thing!!

What a treat to find where you share your thoughts and experiences! I hope that you don't mind that I come back often to see what you are up to and how things are going!!

I appreciate the work that you do. I appreciate that you came in on your weekend off to be my midwife. I appreciate the time that you take and the care that you give. I will forever hold you close to my heart for being with me and caring for me as my newest little miracle joined me in this world. If I had a hat on, I'd tip it for you - but, I don't. So, instead I will blow air kisses and throw air hugs like my big girl always does when I drive away and don't take her with... Feel the love!!