Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Recovery and travel

I am 8 weeks out from my knee replacement and life is good! We went out to visit our daughter and the grandchildren in Virginia. We hiked in Great Falls National Park. We spent a day at the National Zoo. We visited the National Geographic Museum. We visited the Museum of Natural History. We did Geocaching with the kids. We had a wonderful time. The kids are a blast and my knee did great. I had NO PAIN in all my adventures. I took exercise walks daily and rode the bike on the trainer to maintain my flexibility. We had a wonderful time.

On the return from the east coast we stopped in Colorado and had a brief interlude with my sisters and my Mom. It was Mom's 75th birthday and we had a surprise party for her. It was great. I spent several weeks prior to the trip doing an electronic photo album for her on an electric picture frame. So far she is not using it at all (bummer), but I have hopes. There was a slight change of plans as my sister (who had an emergency hysterectomy 3 weeks prior) developed a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and was on bed rest and anticoagulation therapy. Because of the DVT we were not able to go to the cabin in the mountains, but we still had a good time and Mom was pleased and surprised.

We visited with our other daughter and her partner in Portland on the way home and spent a day doing wedding dress shopping. That was an adventure and she didn't find anything that she really fell for so I am making a muslin dress for her to try on in a style that we didn't find while out and about. Hope to get that done this month.

I visited the office yesterday to pick up my paycheck and see how everyone was. I had them start booking me with patients for Monday, April 7th for half days 9-noon. So the grind begins again. Since I have been gone my partner has been doing 20-25 deliveries per month. I know that she is looking forward to having some time off. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to returning to the grind. Both my children expressed concern that I'll get too tired and burned out again and that I will not have energy to be "Mom". They both voiced the opinion that they liked the fact that I had my knee fixed and that I was full of energy and get up and go just like they remembered. I hope it is the new knee and that I will be able to maintain the positive attitude and the energy. I guess I'll see how it all goes once I'm back in the saddle full time. I return to full time April 28th and I will return to doing deliveries at that time too.

No comments: