Sunday, September 5, 2010

Breastfeeding Frustrations

In my life, personally and in my life professionally and academically every bit of information I have points to the fact that breastfeeding is the very best way to feed a newborn. If human women were not equipped to breastfeed from the first day of life, and human babies were unable to figure out how to breastfeed - I wouldn't be writing this because the human race would not have survived. So (rhetorically) how is it that now that we have bottles and formula babies can't/don't figure out how to grasp the nipple and suckle and Moms miraculously (note sarcasm) don't have milk? I get so frustrated with the nurses, the patients, the grandmothers, aunts, cousins, girlfriends and the pediatricians who quickly point out that if breastfeeding is "just too much" giving a bottle is an acceptable thing to do. Many of the Moms I take care of are young, idealistic, impressionable and initially want to breastfeed because it is best for the baby. They get started and find out that as THE MOM they actually have to put some effort into feeding their baby and all thoughts of breastfeeding go out of their brains AND they are completely supported, nudged, cajoled and bullied into feeling like formula feeding is really the best. When I do my education bit about breastfeeding being supply and demand and babies needing close contact (so they want to be at the breast all the time to feel safe) I am met with bewilderment that they would have to take their babies EVERYWHERE with them and actually hold them and suckle them wherever they are. I don't know how to reach these Moms and I am quite frankly frustrated.

3 comments:

OhMama said...

I share your frustration. And I fear that the attitudes towards breastfeeding are indicative of a larger problematic attitude about having and raising children that our culture seems to perpetuate. Bah.

Aubrey said...

(I linked here from Family Treehouse)

I can't help you on that one. Breast is best. All 5 of my kids have been breastfed and I'm in the thick of it with the baby, now. I love being able to leave home and not worry about anything ... I bring the milk along without a thought. It's a good thing, too, because otherwise I'd probably forget.

My husband thanks me often for breastfeeding our babies, but for me it was intuitive. It hadn't occurred to me to do it any other way. That's what my mom did, it made sense, and (gulp) it's free!

I've been blessed with an abundant supply, understand how it works and know how to increase it if need be. I haven't had to supplement, ever.

When I was doing the cesarean shuffle down the hospital hallway after delivering #5, I spotted a tiny bottle of formula on the table in another woman's room. I felt sad instantly for that infant, that it would never know the closeness and warmth of being breastfed. I felt a little sad for the mother, too, because I'm sure she thought this was the easier way. :(

Sorry, now I'm rambling on your post!

Cheers to all the breastfeeding Mamas! :)

elm said...

I keep pondering this post... So many things to think, feel, say...

I am a milk makin' machine! I cannot for the life of me understand what a woman means when she says she doesn't HAVE enough milk for her babe. What?! Then make more! Nurse, cuddle, snuggle, respond to the cries of said babe. Don't force a schedule, for sleeping or feeding. Listen to your baby, not you mother, mother-in-law, pediatrician, etc if they are telling you to schedule or try a bottle, etc. That baby knows what it needs, and if it cries, it needs arms to rest in and possibly a breast to nurse at. Perhaps my frustration is coming through in my comments, here...

"well-meaning" folks don't always get it right. Neither do I, but, I am the mom, so I get to experiment, not everyone else! Anyway, family -usually loving grandmas, will suggest pumping so, they can offer to feed that baby... But what help a new mom needs is not with the new baby, but instead she needs help with the bigger kids if there are any, and the house, and the feeding of the husband, kids and MOM - not the tiny baby! And even as baby grows, a bottle may not ever happen!

And over-worked pediatricians might encourage you to let your baby cry it out... Oh, my! I just am in a fit over that... Quit nursing and let him cry? For how long? How long should I set the timer for the infant? Ridiculous. And as I worked to get to the bottom of the sleep problem on my own, without the real help of a pediatrician... I discovered the excessive waking was in fact due to pain... Intestinal gas which has a relatively easy "fix" with peppermint tea, probiotic powder and some soothing rocking or humming. Oh, how frustrated a mom can feel when she does try to do all of "the best" for the baby and there isn't support from the family or community.

I have a much bigger soap box, but I fear, I may have said to much negativity here and will try to graciously step down as I tell you to "keep up the awesome work" of encouraging moms to do what is the best for baby!

Ps - was smiling to see my Nebraska friend had found her way over and commented, too! She seems as though she could fit right in and hash it out with us - I know a great practice with 2 lovely midwives in Lincoln, NE... Wanna move east?!? I could pack ya up and let ya loose when we get settled... ;)